The objective of this webinar is to present and discuss the resort to remote court hearings during the current crisis. Examining the position in 3 different jurisdictions, the UK, France and the US, leading practitioners as well as members of the judiciary who have been involved in such hearings will discuss the use of technology and online platforms in order to maintain hearings during the Covid-19 pandemic. Issues will be examined from a comparative perspective, including the type of cases covered by such hearings , the choice of technology / platform, public access to hearing, evidential issues (cross-examination; documentary evidence; tracing / authenticity) and impact on advocacy.
- Solenn Le Tutour, Co-Chair, Commission Paris-Londres, Paris Bar, French avocat
- Pr. Duncan Fairgrieve, Co-Chair, Commission Paris-Londres, Paris Bar, BIICL / Université de Dauphine
- Jacques Bouyssou, Alerion Avocats, Paris
- Patrick Coupeaud and Christian Wiest, Judges at the Paris Commercial Court (Tribunal de Commerce de Paris)
- Andrew Chamberlin, Ellis & Winters LLP, US
- Mrs Justice Cockerill
- Ian Denham, Barrister, Outer Temple Chambers, London
- Simon Ellis, Hugh James, UK
- Fiona Gillett and Aleks Valkov, Stewarts, UK
- Tripp Haston, Bradley LLP, US
- Amy Sherry Fischer, Foliart Huff Ottaway & Bottom
- Elodie Valette, White & Case Paris
Join in the conversation @BIICL #VirtualJustice
This event offers the equivalent of 1.5 CPD hours.
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team.
Photography and Recording
Please note that our events may be photographed or audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day.
Alternatively you can email BIICL Marketing Manager, Carmel Brown in advance of the event that you are attending.
Event Cancellation Policy
When you register for an event you will be asked to confirm that you have read and understood our cancellation policy.